We are already in the midst of planning exciting and meaningful camp experiences for this year. We have some milestones to celebrate! It is the 25th year of Korean Heritage Camp, which means the 25th year of Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families, since that was our very first camp all those years ago. It is also the 20th year of our Chinese Heritage Camp, which was our third camp in the lineup of what is now 11 camps and one Adult Adoptee Retreat! It is amazing how we have grown in 25 years, and all because of the dreams and dedication of our staff, board of directors, and countless volunteers — adoptive parents, adoptees, community volunteers, and counselors. Thank you one and all — here’s to a celebratory year!
Some comments from 2015 camp evaluations when asked what was most valuable about the Heritage Camp experience:
- “The most valuable about Heritage Camp to my family is the opportunity to be a part of a family in where we can all connect and share what we are truly passionate about! Best experience ever!”
- “I love that the camp offers something special for everyone in the family and that the camp is full of families just like ours. I think it is so valuable for our children to see other families like their own.”
- “As a counselor, adoptee, & camp alum, I know that Heritage Camp is the only place I actually feel like I fit in.”
- “We already have a high awareness of our daughter’s birth culture. However, camp definitely raises our awareness of the combination of birth and adoption culture and the implications of that.”
- “The kids have FUN with other kids that look like them and have similar experiences — it is their favorite thing of the year, every year.”
Heritage Camp Voices
It is with great pleasure & pride we announce that Pam Sweetser, Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families Executive Director, has been selected as a 2013 winner of the Angel in Adoption™ award by The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) . Pam was chosen for this award by Colorado Senator Michael Bennett.
The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to raising awareness about the millions of children around the world in need of safe and loving homes, and to eliminating the barriers that too often hinder these children from realizing their basic right to a family. Angels in Adoption, CCAI’s signature public awareness program, provides an opportunity for all Members of the U.S. Congress to honor their constituents who have enriched the lives of foster children and orphans.
This year’s Angels in Adoption™ program will take place Monday, October 7th, 2013 and culminates in a gala on Wednesday, October 9th in Washington, D.C. This event boasts more Congressional participation than any child welfare event in the nation, with over 140 Members of Congress participating and more than 700 guests in attendance at the gala each year. Watch the Angels in Adoption website for more announcements http://www.angelsinadoption.org/.
This award reflects the decades of work, tremendous time and ongoing passion Pam dedicates to adoptive families and to Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families. Please join us in congratulating Pam on this terrific and well-earned achievement, and share this wonderful news with your friends and family!
Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families, Inc. (HCAF) serves as a post-adoption resource and advocate for children, adults, and families with diverse heritages.
We accomplish our mission by facilitating events which provide culturally relevant and family-centered experiences for every member of the family.
These events provide individuals and families with both a deeper sense of community and an individual identity. It is our goal that all adoptees will develop a knowledge of themselves and their culture of origin and that families will have a better awareness of, and sense of pride in, their adopted family member’s birth heritage. HCAF assists children, adults, and families in becoming a part of a larger community “just like themselves,” with shared experiences, challenges, and opportunities.