Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families had another successful, fun-filled, and action-packed summer of camps this year! In total, we had 995 families, 398 counselors, and 506 presenters/entertainers attend one (or more in the case of counselors) of our camps this summer! That equates to 4,306 lunches we served, 4,306 name tags we produced, 4,306 t-shirts we ordered, 4,306 people we entertained, educated, and enjoyed, and 4,306 volunteers who made each and every camp happen – we couldn’t have done it without all of YOU! Thank you for a great camp season!
Some comments from this year’s camp evaluations when asked what was most valuable about the Heritage Camp experience:
- “The most valuable about Heritage Camp to my family is the opportunity to be a part of a family in where we can all connect and share what we are truly passionate about! Best experience ever!”
- “I love that the camp offers something special for everyone in the family and that the camp is full of families just like ours. I think it is so valuable for our children to see other families like their own.”
- “As a counselor, adoptee, & camp alum, I know that Heritage Camp is the only place I actually feel like I fit in.”
- “We already have a high awareness of our daughter’s birth culture. However, camp definitely raises our awareness of the combination of birth and adoption culture and the implications of that.”
- “The kids have FUN with other kids that look like them and have similar experiences — it is their favorite thing of the year, every year.”
Please click on this link for the 2015 camp dates, and for the date each camp opens for registration in 2015.
Heritage Camp Voices
It is with great pleasure & pride we announce that Pam Sweetser, Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families Executive Director, has been selected as a 2013 winner of the Angel in Adoption™ award by The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) . Pam was chosen for this award by Colorado Senator Michael Bennett.
The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to raising awareness about the millions of children around the world in need of safe and loving homes, and to eliminating the barriers that too often hinder these children from realizing their basic right to a family. Angels in Adoption, CCAI’s signature public awareness program, provides an opportunity for all Members of the U.S. Congress to honor their constituents who have enriched the lives of foster children and orphans.
This year’s Angels in Adoption™ program will take place Monday, October 7th, 2013 and culminates in a gala on Wednesday, October 9th in Washington, D.C. This event boasts more Congressional participation than any child welfare event in the nation, with over 140 Members of Congress participating and more than 700 guests in attendance at the gala each year. Watch the Angels in Adoption website for more announcements http://www.angelsinadoption.org/.
This award reflects the decades of work, tremendous time and ongoing passion Pam dedicates to adoptive families and to Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families. Please join us in congratulating Pam on this terrific and well-earned achievement, and share this wonderful news with your friends and family!
Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families serves as a post adoption resource and advocate for children and families with diverse heritages.
We accomplish this by facilitating annual heritage camps, which provide culturally relevant and family-centered experiences for every member of the family.
These camps provide an opportunity to share in a common experience that fulfills a sense of community and individual identity. It is our hope that every adopted child will leave a heritage camp knowing more about who they are and where they came from, and that every member of the family will have a better awareness of and sense of pride in their adopted child’s birth heritage. The camps let children and families relish in being part of a larger group “just like themselves.”